Tuesday, July 1, 2008

First Day of Summer Camps in Assam

I met the Kampur District Coordinator this morning for breakfast at about 8:30am. Since today was the first day of summer camps in Assam, he was a busy, nervous, and taking a number of phone calls during the meal. At about 9am he picked up a 5th phone call, spoke in Assamese (which I don't understand), then looked at me and said:

“A camp is now starting, Pushkar, please say some inspirational words to them.”*
He then handed me the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello, sir! We have you on speakerphone and are waiting for something inspirational. Please share!”

These are the kind of things I fall into on some days.

After imparting concise world-class wisdom and philosophical force (not really), we finished up with breakfast (which was excellent-- go to Maharaja Dhaba in Kampur if you can) and then moved on to see the start of summer camps in Assam.

On the first day of every summer camp across the country, teachers are expected to do “baseline” tests to determine what level of comprehension their students are at. Please see the brief video clip below to watch baseline testing in Assam.




*For the record, I’m fairly positive Pranav passed me the phone not because he thought I was inspirational, but just because he didn’t want to do it himself…




______________________________________________________
www.pratham.org
www.readindia.org
www.prathamusa.org

2 comments:

Liz said...

lies. it was your words of infamous inspiration.

frogfotog said...

The baselining video is neat. Is the girl reading the Hindi equivalent of "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog?" I also want to know what your words of inspiration were...